The Middle and high school Youth group - Light Vanguards - was formed in 2009, for teenagers between 14 and 18, which belongs to and serves the Orthodox Church in Beit Sahour. Its teachings are driven from the doctrine, faith and legacy of the Greek Orthodox Church and its spiritual fathers.
Education youth, able to hold the Orthodox teachings in the future.
- Encourage young people to study theology and Byzantine hymns, to learn about the history of the Orthodox Church, Christian history and religious sites inside and outside the Holy Land.
- Spiritual, religious, doctrinal and social awareness and education for the young men and women.
- Encourage young people to join priesthood.
- To encourage and lead young men and women in spiritual practice.
- Bring young people closer to the Church and to serve it.
- Networking and joint activities with local, regional and international Orthodox youth groups.
- Empower and strengthen youth leadership skills, team work, volunteerism and service spirit.
- Weekly meetings.
- Invitation of priests and professional speakers to lecture for the youth and the parish.
- Organization of trips and visits to local Churches and religious sites.
- Spiritual courses and retreats for young people.
- Joint activities and mutual visits with local and national Orthodox youth groups.
- Feasts' festivals to deliver their religious message.Visits to patients to pray with them and support them.
Administration / Guidance:
Based on the guidance Church' priest and a committee of theologian counselors. The group does have an administrative system as it is not an independent body, rather under the administration of the Church' Parish Council.
The youth group center is located within the Church’ compound. It contains two meeting rooms, a Christian library, an office with computer and printer, TV monitors, a kitchen and a store.
Group meetings and gatherings mostly depends on the date and the passing season, where the meetings are training and arrangements for upcoming activities or festivals. The group with its theologians committee train and practice on the hymns, shows, spiritual and popular activities that are to be performed to the public. Other normal weekly meetings are for religious lessons learning and social gatherings of the young people. The counselors interact and communicate personally with the group members to answer their various theological and social questions.
The group meets every Thursday evening at the center.